Hello and welcome to our list of nice words starting with J!
We already know that nice generally refers to things that are positive, pleasant and constructive in definition, and can describe not only objects and environments, but also ideas, actions, concepts and people. Since it’s such a versatile word with a broad range of appropriate applications, each meaning and context of use has its own subtle shade of definition. Since we already have lists of nice adjectives, synonyms, rhymes and meanings, I thought it would be useful to categorise some lists a different way – by letter. I’ve tried to fill these lists with words that fulfil three criteria – sounds nice, has a nice meaning, and starts with J. I hope you find this list handy and maybe even brighten someone’s day with these nice words starting with J:
- jade (n.) 1. a light green colour 2. a hard stone of varying shades of green.
- jolly (adj.) cheerful, merry.
- juicy (adj.) succulent or full of juice.
- judicious (adj.) using good judgement.
- jettison (v.) to eject or discard.
- june (n.) the sixth month of the year.
- jete (n.) a dance move which involves a springing jump from one foot to the other.
- jot (v.) to write quickly and briefly.
- jostle (v.) to push up against others
- jellyfish (n.) a free-swimming marine lifeform.
- jamboree (n.) a large party.
- joyfully (adj.) with joy, with happiness.
- janus (n.) the god of beginnings, which the month january is named after.
- journey (n.) a venture from one place to another.
- jungle (n.) an area of forest and wild vegetation.
- juniper (n.) a small tree which bears cones that look like berries.
- jessamy (adj.) a jasmine-like yellow
- jiffy (n.) a very small unit of time
- jnana (n.) knowledge and wisdom that is gained through meditation
- jam (n.) 1. a conserve made largely from berries and sugar 2. an awkward situation 3. having something be stuck 4. to squeeze or pack things into a space.
- jewel (n.) a precious gem
- jingle (n.) 1. a gentle ringing noise 2. a short piece of music or verse, usually used in advertising.
- juno (n.) an alternate name for hera.
- jupiter (n.) 1. a planet in our solar system, known for its storms and big red spot 2. an alternate name for thor.
- julep (n.) a sweetened drink that is also often medicated
- jasmine (n.) a sweet-smelling flower.
- jonquil (n.) a type of narcissus flower with small yellow flowers.
- jojoba (n.) an oil which is collected from a seed. usually for cosmetic use.
- jebel (n.) a hill or mountain
- jubilant (adj.) ecstatic, triumphant.
These nice words were inspired by and collected from my travels through different forms of media throughout my day – articles, books, song lyrics and websites (and sometimes lying around, forcing myself to think of words I like). In particular, websites like Dictionary.com, Quora, Tumblr, Pinterest, Positive Words Research, Adjectives Starting and The Phrontistery were all very helpful. If you’ve got any other word sources that you’d like to share, or have suggestions for other nice words, leave a comment or send an email. While I do collect words, I am always careful to write the meanings myself, so if you find a definition here that looks a little too similar to another that you’ve seen, please let me know asap and I’ll work on updating my wording as quick as I can. Likewise, if you find any mistakes – meanings that require updating, definitions that need better punctuation or words that are incorrectly spelled, get in contact.
Thanks again for visiting our site, and as always, our very best wishes to you on your internet travels. Remember to stretch and rest your eyes every 20 minutes. <3