Hello and welcome to our list of nice words starting with A!
We already know that nice generally refers to things that are positive, pleasant and constructive in definition, and can describe not only objects and environments, but also ideas, actions, concepts and people. Since it’s such a versatile word with a broad range of appropriate applications, each meaning and context of use has its own subtle shade of definition. Since we already have lists of nice adjectives, synonyms, rhymes and meanings, I thought it would be nice to categorise some lists a different way – by letter. I’ve tried to fill these lists with words that fulfill three criteria – sounds nice, has a nice meaning, and starts with A. I hope you find this list handy and maybe even brighten someone’s day with these nice words starting with A:
- ace (n.) someone who excels in a particular skill or activity.
- acceptance (n.) receiving something willingly.
- autumnal (adj.) of or relating to autumn.
- astounding (adj.) amazingly impressive.
- awning (n.) material stretched over a frame to weatherproof a window or doorway.
- altruistic (adj.) selflessly ethical.
- animate (v.) to bring life or energy to something.
- asunder (adj.) to break into pieces.
- astound (v.) to shock or surprise
- absolve (v.) to free or release someone from guilt, punishment or responsibility.
- activist (n.) a person working to bring about progressive political or social change.
- aurora (n.) dawn; sunrise.
- aflutter (adj.) a state of great anticipation or excitement.
- astronaut (n.) a person who is trained to travel through space.
- affable (adj.) friendly; easygoing.
- aglow (adj.) a physical countenance that seems indicative of good health.
- avian (adj.) to do with birds.
- allegro (adj.) at a brisk speed. a common term in musical notation.
- alto (n.) in reference to a family of instruments which are pitched the second or third highest in comparison to the rest of their
- amoeba (n.) a single-celled organism.
- amok (adj.) to behave erratically or disruptively.
- amber (n.) rigid, translucent resin commonly used in jewellery; a honey-like colour.
- amaranthine (adj.) an imaginary flower.
- ambient (adj.) relating to the immediate environment of something or someone.
These nice words were inspired by and collected from my travels through different forms of media throughout my day – articles, books, song lyrics and websites (and sometimes lying around, forcing myself to think of words I like). In particular, websites like Dictionary.com, Quora, Tumblr, Pinterest, Positive Words Research, Adjectives Starting and The Phrontistery were all very helpful. If you’ve got any other word sources that you’d like to share, or have suggestions for other nice words, leave a comment or send an email.
While I do collect words, I am always careful to write the meanings myself, so if you find a definition here that looks a little too similar to another that you’ve seen, please let me know asap and I’ll work on updating my wording as quick as I can. Likewise, if you find any mistakes – meanings that require updating, definitions that need better punctuation or words that are incorrectly spelled, get in contact.
Thanks again for visiting our site, and as always, our very best wishes to you on your internet travels – read some fanfiction and wear a hat if you go outside. <3