Hello and welcome to our list of nice words starting with D!
We already know that nice generally refers to things that are positive, pleasant and constructive in definition, and can describe not only objects and environments, but also ideas, actions, concepts and people. Since it’s such a versatile word with a broad range of appropriate applications, each meaning and context of use has its own subtle shade of definition. Since we already have lists of nice adjectives, synonyms, rhymes and meanings, I thought it would be useful to categorise some lists a different way – by letter. I’ve tried to fill these lists with words that fulfill three criteria – sounds nice, has a nice meaning, and starts with D. I hope you find this list handy and maybe even brighten someone’s day with these nice words starting with D:
- dandy (adj.) a man who enjoys fashion
- dapper (adj.) very neat and trim, meticulous in appearance.
- diptych (n.) a pair of paintings.
- delight (n.) cheer and happiness.
- dimple (n.) small depressions in the skin; usually in reference to those on a person’s cheeks when smiling.
- dandelion (n.) a weed with yellow flowers and downy seeds.
- darling (adj.) an endearment; something lovable or loved.
- dip (v.) to briefly and lightly submerge.
- daisy (n.) a type of flower with yellow and white petals.
- dewy (adj.) moist with residual dew; looking soft and fresh.
- dimity (n.) a durable cotton material, typically woven with a stripe or check pattern.
- dysphoria (n.) anxiety or unease.
- diegetic (adj.) of a fictional world.
- deckle (n.) the ragged, raw edge of a piece of handmade paper.
- dabble (v.) to casually take part
- denote (v.) to show, tell or indicate.
- disarming (adj.) to ease suspicions or hostility, usually through charisma or charm.
- diffuse (v.) to spread over an area
- dawn (n.) the morning
- dazed (adj.) a state of shock or bewilderment rendering someone incapable of functioning as usual.
- dream (n.) an aspiration; or a series of images seen during a certain level of sleep.
These nice words were inspired by and collected from my travels through different forms of media throughout my day – articles, books, song lyrics and websites (and sometimes lying around, forcing myself to think of words I like). In particular, websites like Dictionary.com, Quora, Tumblr, Pinterest, Positive Words Research, Adjectives Starting and The Phrontistery were all very helpful. If you’ve got any other word sources that you’d like to share, or have suggestions for other nice words, leave a comment or send an email.
While I do collect words, I am always careful to write the meanings myself, so if you find a definition here that looks a little too similar to another that you’ve seen, please let me know asap and I’ll work on updating my wording as quick as I can. Likewise, if you find any mistakes – meanings that require updating, definitions that need better punctuation or words that are incorrectly spelled, get in contact.
Thanks again for visiting our site, and as always, our very best wishes to you on your internet travels – call your mum if you can and read some wholesome comics. <3