Hello and welcome to our list of nice words starting with H!
Nice generally refers to things that are positive, pleasant and constructive in definition, and can describe not only objects and environments, but also ideas, actions, concepts and people. Since it’s such a versatile word with a broad range of appropriate applications, each meaning and context of use has its own subtle shade of definition. Since we already have lists of nice adjectives, synonyms, rhymes and meanings, I thought it would be useful to categorise some lists a different way – by letter. I’ve tried to fill these lists with words that fulfill three criteria – sounds nice, has a nice meaning, and starts with H. I hope you find this list handy and maybe even brighten someone’s day with these nice words starting with H:
- halcyon (n.) a period of time where everything is blissful and idyllic.
- hi-jinks (n.) mischievous doings; pranks.
- huggable (adj.) a quality that evokes a strong desire to hug
- honestly (adj.) describing truthfulness; doing things without lying
- holly (n.) a type of red flowering plant typically associated with christmas
- herbaceous (adj.) relating to herbs
- heliotrope (n.) a colour; a pink-purple tint
- hinterland (n.) a term that originates from Germany meaning “the land behind”.
- highfalutin (adj.) pompous or pretentious.
- holocene (n.) a period of history and time; the current epoch
- humorous (adj.) funny.
- husky (adj.) large and strong
- humdrum (adj.) boring.
- hyaline (adj.) smooth and transparent-looking
- harmonic (adj.) relating to harmonies.
- helix (n.) 1. a three-dimensional shape like a corkscrew, 2. a spiralled chain of atoms in some types of molecules, or 3. the outer cartilage of the human ear.
- hinnable (adj.) able to neigh or whinny.
- hippopotamus (n.) a large, semi-aquatic mammal.
- hibiscus (n.) a type of flower. grown in warm climates and is brightly coloured.
- hither (adj.) situated on “this” side or towards one’s current place.
- himalayas (n.) a mountain range in Asia.
- horizon (n.) 1. the edge where the land and sky seem to meet 2. the boundaries of a person’s mental resources.
- hourglass (n.) a time-measuring device composed of two glass bulbs that transfer sand from one to the other.
- huckleberry (n.) a dark blue-purple berry similar to a currant.
- hummingbird (n.) a very small, colourful bird that feeds on nectar.
- hyacinth (n.) a flower that is part of the lily family with bell-shaped, fragrant flowers.
- hyperbole (n.) an excessively exaggerated statement that is universally understood and accepted to not be taken seriously
- hazelnut (n.) a small, very round nut.
- harissa (n.) a spicy condiment typically made from peppers, chilli, paprika and oils.
- hebe (n.) an ornamental flowering plant with light purple, pink and/or white flowers.
- heartfelt (adj.) done with genuine emotion; earnestly.
- harmonious (adj.) in sync.
- honeyed (adj.) sweet.
- hatchling (n.) an animal that has recently been birthed from its egg.
- hellebore (n.) a poisonous plant from the buttercup family with large flowers of white, green or purple.
- honeydew (n.) a type of melon with a pale rind and light green flesh.
- honeysuckle (n.)a type of shrub with generally fragrant tubular flowers.
- hopscotch (n.) a hopping game played on the pavement and typically drawn with chalk.
- hopeful (adj.) tentatively optimistic
- heather (n.)a purple flowering plant, grown on moors and heathland.
- happy (adj.) feeling positive.
- humble (adj.) showing modesty or a low estimation of self-importance.
- hazel (n.) 1. a greenish-brown colour typically used to describe eyes and 2. a shrub that bears small edible nuts.
- hypnotic (adj.) inducing hypnosis, a compelling or sleep-inducing effect.
These nice words were inspired by and collected from my travels through different forms of media throughout my day – articles, books, song lyrics and websites (and sometimes lying around, forcing myself to think of words I like). In particular, websites like Dictionary.com, Quora, Tumblr, Pinterest, Positive Words Research, Adjectives Starting and The Phrontistery were all very helpful. If you’ve got any other word sources that you’d like to share, or have suggestions for other nice words, leave a comment or send an email.
While I do collect words, I am always careful to write the meanings myself, so if you find a definition here that looks a little too similar to another that you’ve seen, please let me know asap and I’ll work on updating my wording as quick as I can. Likewise, if you find any mistakes – meanings that require updating, definitions that need better punctuation or words that are incorrectly spelled, get in contact.
Thanks again for visiting our site, and as always, our very best wishes to you on your internet travels – remember to drink water and eat something green (skittles don’t count). <3